How to Start A Blog
Way, way, way back in the day blogging was just a way for people to share about their daily life. Blogging was more of an online diary so to speak. It was a way for friends and family to share amongst themselves and complete strangers their daily activities. That was of course until social media platforms, like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram took off. Oh and let’s not forget about Myspace and Livejournal. Now with social media all you need to do is just snap a selfie, write a line or two and instantly update all your followers on your status.
Blogging has become quite popular over the years, especially since you can now earn a living off blogging. Instead of blogging about your daily life (which many bloggers still do), people often blog about how-tos, travel, food, fashion, etc. It has become a world full of information and inspiration. And with it, more technical.
This post may contain affiliate links. You can read my disclosure policy here.
Starting a blog may seem scary and hard to do. Honestly, it can be, all depending on how deep into the blogging rabbit hole you want to go. But do not let that steer you away from starting one. Once you know just the basics, it’s really quite simple, fun, and even slightly addicting.
So how do you start a blog?
- You need to choose your platform. This can be WordPress, Blogger, Weebly, Wix, the list goes on. I recommend WordPress as it is the most popular amongst bigger bloggers, easier to use, and customizing. You can start a blog on any of these platforms for free.
- Choose a name for your blog. It can be anything you want. A nickname, your name, a hobby, whatever! Make sure it is something easy to remember, spell, and something that your going to stick with. When you choose the free blog option on your platform, keep in mind that you won’t own your web address. For example, if you choose WordPress, you web address will say www.yourblogname.wordpress.com
- . The only way to get rid of that, is to buy a domain.
Related topics: Why I renamed my blog
- Buy a domain and self host. As I previously mentioned, if you want to own your web address, you will need to purchase a domain. Plus, if your wanting to take blogging seriously, it will look more professional without the .wordpress or .blogspot. Despite what you might think, domain names are not that expensive. [insert affiliate link]. The trick however, is finding a domain name that you love and is available on other social media platforms.
Siteground offers great hosting for beginner bloggers. Get hosting as little as $3.95/month
- Choose a niche. The best way to blog is to blog about a specific topic that you know a lot about. As I mentioned above many bloggers write about blogging food travel fashion anything. As long as you have a passion for it you can blog about it. If you decide to blog about a topic you know nothing about, it will show.
- Create an about me page. Whether you know it or not, this is actually important. A big majority of readers will check out your about me page. This will give them an ideal of who you are about your blog is about. Adding a couple of pictures to your about me page wouldn’t hurt either. If you really want your followers to get to know who you are, show them with a picture or two. It is always nice to see who the person on the other side of the screen is.
- Choose a theme. This is where in my opinion it can get a little tricky. Most blog post I have read about when coming up with a theme suggest choosing one that is simple and easy on the eyes. Kind of like a minimalistic so to speak. You do want to make sure your blog layout is easy for your followers to navigate through. While I love a simple looking theme, I also love color. All colors! The key is choosing a theme, or if you really want to design one, is making sure the layout and color scheme flow well together. A white background is best. From there, add a few pops of color that make it stand out and says YOU. Also think about you niche. If you are a parent and want to blog about parenting and crafts kids, you could choose colors that are bold and primary (red, blue, yellow).
Want a new theme? Check out Creative Market!
- Add your social media. This should be a given. Always connect with your followers. You could develop quite a good friendship with some of them and they may want to connect with you on other platforms as well. Not to mention that you can share your blog on other social media platforms to gain more followers. Just because someone is on Twitter does not necessarily mean they are in Instagram or Facebook and vice versa.
- Write your first post. This could be anything. You can say hello and introduce yourself and your blog or you can just jump right into a specific topic. Once you write that first post, share away on your social media. Most likely you will not get 100 followers from day one. If you do, AWESOME! In time, people will come. Just don’t give up before you have the chance to share with the world.
Those are just the basic bare bones to starting a blog. It may sound like a lot to do but it really isn’t. It is actually very simple. Once you get these basics down, you will be ready to start tackling more within your blog. If you are completely brand new to blogging, as in never started one before or just never wrote anything, I recommend starting off with a 30 day blog challenge. I did with my other site and I don’t regret it. I actually gain more insight and it gave me a chance to play around with my blog and other options.
♥Get your FREE 30 day blog post challenge!♥
One last piece of advice. Don’t be afraid to reach out to other bloggers. Sure some of them may not respond but some will. Those who have blogged for sometime and are successful will be more than happy to hear from you and give you some pointers as well.
Now go start that blog of yours and share away! Happy blogging my friends!